Friday, December 31, 2010

Stupid Windows Trick: just start typing to jump to a specific file in Explorer

Lots of the Windows tips and tricks I've picked up over the years are the result of facepalm moments. For example, I went years before finding out that you could right-click the Start Menu's programs list to sort by name. These moments of 'duh' prompted me to share some of these Stupid Windows Tricks, and today I've got another one that probably took me way too long to figure out.

If you open Windows Explorer and want to jump to a file, and you already know its name, you can jump to it simply by typing. As soon as the window in my screenshot opened, I typed m-a-n -- and by then, Explorer had highlighted my Mango image. You've got to type rapid-fire, though. If you're too slow, Explorer will think you quit your original attempt and started a new one. If I paused too long after the m, for example, it would jump to a file beginning with a when I continued.

Is this going to boost your productivity? Probably not, but I actually find myself doing this on a semi-regular basis -- though probably because I think it's kinda cool.

Stupid Windows Trick: just start typing to jump to a specific file in Explorer originally appeared on Download Squad on Fri, 17 Dec 2010 15:00:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Permalink | Email this | Comments

Source: http://downloadsquad.switched.com/2010/12/17/stupid-windows-trick-just-start-typing-to-jump-to-a-specific-file/

ON SEMICONDUCTOR NVIDIA NUANCE COMMUNICATIONS NOVELLUS SYSTEMS NOVELL

No comments:

Post a Comment